by Pete Cashmore (http://mashable.com/2009/08/29/social-media-stories-10/)
From an image editing disaster by Microsoft to Yelp’s () augmented reality application to a rehab center for Internet addicts, it’s been a busy week in web news.
We were blown away by Facebook’s () latest iPhone app and shocked by a new ad campaign that informs drivers of the dangers of texting while driving. Less shocking: a new study suggested that social media users are somewhat narcissistic.
In Mashable news, meanwhile, our Summer of Social Good conference was a hit…and ended on a high with an unexpected marriage proposal.
Without further ado, here are the top stories in social media this week.
1. Microsoft Apologizes for Photoshop Trainwreck – Microsoft edited an image on its Polish website, replacing a black person with a white one. An apology was issued for the mistake.
2. EASTER EGG: Yelp Is the iPhone’s First Augmented Reality App – Yelp sneakily launched an augmented reality iPhone app this week. We take it for a test run.
3. First U.S. Rehab Center for Internet Addiction Opens Its Doors – America’s first Internet addiction center opens. A sign of the times?
4. How Facebook Can Ruin Your Relationships [VIDEO] – A recent study showed that Facebook increases jealousy in relationships. Now we have video evidence.
5. STUDY: Social Media Is for Narcissists – are social media tools used for narcissistic ends? A new study appears to confirm it.
6. Apple Censored the Snow Leopard: Now With 100% Less Blood – Apple’s Snow Leopard operating system arrives…with the blood stains removed.
7. IT’S HERE: Facebook 3.0 for iPhone Has Arrived – Facebook’s latest iPhone app is here…and it’s awesome. We look at the unique features in this innovative new social app.
8. Texting While Driving Video: Will Graphic Imagery Change People’s Behavior? – A graphic new ad uses shock tactics to warn of the dangers of texting while driving. Will it work, asks Adam Ostrow.
9. Dual-Screen Laptops?! Yes, They’re Real (and Coming Soon) – One laptop screen not enough space for all your applications? Ben Parr clues us in on a new dual-screen laptop that provides oodles of screen real estate.
10. Don’t Want to Let Go of Your Ex? Yes, There Are Apps for That [Video] – A parody iPhone ad offers to help stalk your ex.
Image courtesy of iStockphoto (), AndrewJohnson